[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sat Aug 1 22:31:04 MDT 2009

Rob, et al,

Some of you may never have witnessed a "real" pitch raise - meaning 5 -
40 cents flat is nothing.

I build in a little extra charge (pitch raise charge, if you must label
it) for all of my first time customers because they have rarely been
tuned in the last, say 5 to 25 years. Most of my first time'rs are
anywhere from 50 to 120 cents flat.

I even had one customer tell me it's never been tuned except when it
left the showroom floor.

Plus, I always ask my customers when was it last tuned - their answer
then tells me what I'm going to charge for the first time. If they don't
know, I tell them a range and determine what the charge is when I get
there by depending how far out of tune it is.

The Cybertuner allows for three setting of pitch raises (1) 0 to 60
cents flat (2) 60 to 100 cents flat and (3) over 100 cents flat. (I
think these are right)

This gives me the opportunity to do a pretty damn good job in one pass.
(Of course, its not going to be too stable, but at least its going to be
in tune). I - always - tell them that because it was so flat that it's
going to need a tuning in a month or so. When they call back to schedule
another tuning I charge my standard rate.

That is my criteria,
Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years