[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 12:31:40 MDT 2009

*I can understand the difference between concert SERVICE and concert TUNING.
We were talking specifically about tuning. If we want to go the direction of
concert service vs. in-home service perhaps we should start another thread ;
)*

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 2:32 AM, Don <pianotuna at accesscomm.ca> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I don't charge more for a concert tuning. So there is no differential. (nor
> should there be).
>
> At 02:08 AM 8/5/2009 -0300, you wrote:
> >   Then why is there a differential in the  price charged? Normally, I
> find
> >that a concert instrument  requires more time, because there seems to be
> >'more' to be heard, allowing a  person to be more precise.

*I can't agree with this. Unless the "more" to be heard are the false beats
that are in so many Steinway grands! I find that its easier to be accurate
in the home environment which is generally quieter and more stable in
regards to temp and humidity.
*

> Lesser quality
> >instruments, just don't  warrant the extra time, since there is no gain.

*It may seem like  "lesser quality" to you, but to the owner, it is their
pride and joy! I find that spinets and consoles respond to the same kind of
work that makes "higher end" pianos sound and play better: fine regulating,
hammer to string mating, and voicing. One idea is that the "lesser quality"
instruments need all the help they can get!

This is why I enjoy having a small shop/retail business. I can pick up a
1955 Wurlitzer spinet for $150, and lavish 15 hours on it.  Believe me, they
have no trouble selling for $1500-$2500. They sound SO much better than any
other small pianos out there. I just have trouble keeping pianos like this
in stock!
*

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT