[pianotech] Attention Ed Foote - Pitch raising limit

PianoForteTechnologies pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Thu Aug 6 14:13:15 MDT 2009

Hello Ed

Thank you for your response and clarification.  I must admit that from
reading about 1 pass pitch raises that many RPT's have written about, but I
can't recall percentage figures and what A.A Reblitz wrote in his second
edition, Piano Servicing, Tuning, and Rebuilding book, " If the whole piano
is about 50 cents flat, and you rough tune the temperament 20 - 25 cents
sharp to compensate for this during your first pitch raise, the midrange
will fall approximately back to A440 by the time you finish raising the
pitch, saving you an extra pitch raising.  With extensive tuning experience,
you'll learn how to raise the pitch avove A440 in each section of the piano
during the first pitch raise, and how far various types of pianos will fall
during the pitch raise, depending on how flat they were before you started."
, that I have been looking for other RPT's to say something similar, because
this is what I have been doing.  I certainly do not want to damage my
clients piano strings!

What are your thoughts and what are your pitch raising percentages?

Mark Davis