[pianotech] Commissions

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Aug 13 16:17:13 MDT 2009

Hi Greg:

As a former Baldwin and Young Chang dealer for 7 years, I have experience working with both referrals and sales staff with regard to compensation.

It is important to begin by distinguishing between a salesperson and someone who provides a referral that results in a sale.  A salesperson is a person who is on the staff of your business who has been explicitly hired to sell your wares, in this case pianos.  These people work in a variety of ways.  Purely on commission, in which case they would likely receive a higher percentage.  More commonly, they work on a combination of salary and commission, with a  draw  on commission for salary, which is the way I worked it with my employees.  I paid 5% of the selling cost as commission to my sales people.

I also worked with referrals from other technicians that resulted in sales, and gave a 1 to 2% referral fee.  I had to know that the customer referral explicitly and exclusively came from that technician, and that the customer was not already in my database.

I am assuming that your employee works for you not as a sales person but in other capacities.  If so, he is not a salesperson.  He didn’t sell the piano, you did.  He talked up the piano to the customer, but that is what all referring persons do – why else would they come to you?

It is up to you to set a rate that is fair to you, and yet is sufficient to encourage this person to continue to make referrals in the future.

Whatever protocol you establish for the future, make it simple and straightforward.

Will Truitt