[pianotech] double-striking hammers on chinese uprights

Britney Kirk bkirk at summerhaysmusic.com
Tue Aug 18 08:07:43 MDT 2009

What causes a hammer to double-strike on an upright?  When I play the
key, it feels like there is an extra force at the beginning of the
keystroke.  When the keystroke is at the halfway point, the hammer has
already hit the string and started to come back.  When I have finished
my keystroke, the hammer has returned and hit the string once more.

 I have tried re-pinning the hammer flange and doing a finer regulation.
The only thing that seems to help-- but not actually solving the
problem, and creating other problems-- is setting let-off extremely far
from the string.

Any ideas?