[pianotech] double-striking hammers on chinese uprights

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Aug 18 08:52:51 MDT 2009

Poor regulation can cause it.  Inadequate jack travel, dip, incorrect blow
setting, too much lost motion.   But if that is in order then check the
spoon regulation to be sure the damper spring doesn't engage too early.
Then disengage the damper spring and see if that doesn't solve the problem
(or pull it back with string hook while you strike the key).  Sometimes the
damper springs are over tensioned and can inhibit the key from making a full
stroke through let-off especially on a soft blow.  If that's the case you
will need to carefully ease off the tension on the spring being careful not
to overdo it and compromise effective damping.  One thought anyway.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com