[pianotech] cloudy finish

Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 23 05:22:07 MDT 2009

Win,

When you're dealing with polyester, a cloudy finish can be one of two things.

1 - The satin finish is achieved by sanding the poly with a fine grit sandpaper. When rubbing a polyester finish in this way, it tends to have a much duller or cloudy look than a lacquer finished which has been rubbed in the same way, with the same fine grit sandpaper. I generally fix this with a good polish to eliminate the cloudy/dull look.

2 - If the finish looses adhesion from the substrate, it would give you a whitish/cloudy look. The best way to see if this is the case, is to check for lifting anywhere on the finish, usually at the ends. If the cloudy effect you see is over the entire piano, it probably isn't a lifting or adhesion problem.

Al