[pianotech] String Rattle

Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 25 07:33:03 MDT 2009

That remind me of a funny story. I don't know if I posted this before.

I was tuning for a large dealer in New York. The customer had purchased a Kohler & Campbell Console and it was time for their free tuning. When I called to make the appointment, the customer informed me that a terrible buzz had developed and he wanted a new piano. I told him that I would take a look at it when I came to tune the piano and If I couldn't fix the problem, that we would change out the piano for him.

Sure enough there was a bad buss. I mean a really bad buzz. I removed the desk and bottom board and did a visual inspection. I had him play as I inspected, checking the bridges etc, and could not find any problem. At that point I decided to move the piano away from the wall to check the soundboard and ribs. I immediately found the problem. There was a bottle of Scotch Whiskey and a bottle of Club Soda perched on the bottom support beam leaning against the soundboard. I said to the customer "I found your problem". With that he exclaimed. "THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM.....THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM". I removed the bottles and handed them to him. I proceeded to tune the piano and never hear from him again.

Al