[pianotech] String Rattle

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 25 06:22:14 MDT 2009

This reminds me of a funny story about a problem I had many years ago.  I
used to be the tech for the store that sold Grand (the brand name) pianos.
When out servicing one of them for the free tuning, there was a very
prominent buzz on 2 notes only in the tenor bass break.  When played loudly,
it TWANGED like mad. It was the kind of twang that sounded like a bearing
problem.  I checked everything you can think of and then some but could not
find what was causing it.  After a few hours, I called my cousin.  The other
Groot that some of you mistook for me here at the Grand Rapids Convention.
We went back at a later time together to solve it.  We didn't solve it.  We
couldn't figure the problem out for nothing.  We even resorted to turning
the nose bolt for a different bearing.  Nothing worked.  There was plenty of
room on each side of the bridges so it was not buzzing there either.

Finally, I called my dad who just happened to be home.  He came right over.
We all 3 looked and looked.  Finally, my dad picked up one side of the piano
and just flat out dropped it!  BAM onto the floor it went.  Those of you
that know me, will assume which I did, that I busted out laughing my butt
off when he did that.  So did my cousin.  My dad, he just smirked.  Funny
thing?  The buzz went away never to return.  After making sure it wasn't
going to start up again dad looked at the piano and said "THERE YOU SO AND
SO TAKE THAT!!!  To which we all laughed some more.

I wouldn't condone resorting to this obviously,  yet after that much
frustration, it sure was funny to watch him do that.

Jer

Jerry.5

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 090824-0, 08/24/2009
Tested on: 8/25/2009 8:22:14 AM