[pianotech] PR follow up

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Aug 28 18:16:13 MDT 2009

Well, nobody asked, but in case at least that many care - in
my world, David's got it right. I see no reason, presuming the
piano's tunable in the first place, that it can't be left in
an acceptable state of tune after a pitch raise. If, during
the process, every realistic effort is made to pound the slack
out of the back scale, followed by a real attempt to leave a
stable string as you typically would, there's no reason you
shouldn't end up with a piano as in tune as if you hadn't done
a pitch raise. That's the de-fuzzifier. You can leave the
piano reflecting your typical standard of tuning after even a
substantial pitch raise. How long it will stay that way
depends mostly, in my experience, on how well you were able to
equalize segment tensions on both sides of the bridges. Some
techs have no conception of this, and some are fairly good at
it. I've done half-to-full semitone pitch raises, with
instructions to call for another tuning when it becomes
obvious it's needed, and tuned the piano two years later no
more off pitch than a stable piano tuned six months ago. I've
also had them quite rough in a month, indicating I hadn't
gotten segment tensions equalized as I had tried, even though
the piano was in good tune when I left. I think two weeks is
rushing it some for the follow up. A month is more reasonable
to me, or when it sounds like it needs it. But that's my call.

So, as usual, it depends.
Ron N