[pianotech] PR follow up

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Aug 28 21:32:02 MDT 2009

In a message dated 8/28/2009 10:28:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

What  else do you think accounts?  Soundboard compression?  When a string
breaks and the entire section goes out of tune is it the loss of a few
pounds  downward pressure on the bridge?  If so, then simply pressing down on the
 bridge should put the piano noticeably out of tune.  But it  doesn’t.
Additionally, when you destring the bass on a piano where  the bearing on the
bass bridge is pretty much zero, why does the tenor change  so much in
pitch?  On the other side, a single string breaking makes a  change of over 300
lbs of tension on the plate.  The removal of the bass  strings results in a
net change of 7000 -8000 lbs.  I would assert that  it is primarily (if not
exclusively) the change in the way the plate flexes  that is responsible for
the change in pitch.
No argument. It was merely an analogy which is  demonstrably poor, but has
elements of analog.

The stability after restringing has other issues including the
straightening of the wire at the terminations, the tightening of the coils,  loops and
beckets, etc..  This is not really an issue on a piano that has  already
achieved that type of stability.  The net loss the comes about  during a pitch
raise is due primarily to progressively added contractual  tension to the
plate.  Other factors that affect stability are the  ability for the
technician to stabilize the various string segments as Ron  outlined in a previous
post, plus getting to a reasonable starting point from  which to start the
fine tuning process.
All of which is true. What is still a question  is what you call the aim
and the result. If the aim is a "fine" tuning after a  radical pitch
alteration, I suppose degrees of fine can be achieved, indeed, I  have done so. But
not tunings that I would ever tell a client are "fine", rather  adequate to
the circumstance.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com