[pianotech] PR follow up

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 21:42:34 MDT 2009

Whether the piano can remain stable after a pitch raise and whether you trust your own ability to stabilize all string segments reliable are different things.  In a concert situation I would always err on the side of caution and follow up to be sure that the piano remained stable because the situation is more critical.  I’ve had that experience and there have been many times where the piano remained perfectly stable.  Others where I lost a unison or two but that is a factor of segment stabilizing otherwise I would expect a more universal drift rather than the loss off a couple of unisons.  I consider that type of stability issue something which I missed rather than something that is necessarily inherent in the process.  No doubt it is a tougher task over the course of some 250+ strings to be sure that everything is equalized, but the fact that 99% of the piano remained stable suggests that the propensity for lack of stability is not a given but a matter of careful technique.

How long the piano will remain stable is difficult to determine because you can’t generally tease out the variables that otherwise cause the piano to go out of tune anyway (changes in environment).  However, short of string segment equalization problems (and given a stable  environment) I see no reason that the piano won’t stay in tune for any shorter a period of time than one not requiring a pitch correction—I guess that’s become the mode of comparison.  The bottom line is that the more you go over the piano the more likely you are to catch and correct any stubborn segments.  The tendency for the segments to be stubborn will be influenced by the piano’s design, counterbearing angles, string condition, etc..

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com