[pianotech] Help with age of Mason & Hamlin 7'

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Fri Aug 28 22:47:52 MDT 2009

I'd like help identifying a 7' Mason and Hamlin.  Full perimeter
plate, with no numbers or letters of any kind that I could find.  Four
large holes in the bass side; several large holes in the treble, one
with an open crown type of decoration.  8 singles in the bass and 13
bichords.  Two numbers stamped on the keyslip: 12330 (larger) and
11380 (smaller).  11380 also stamped into the cheekblocks.  13444
written in pen on the keybed.  Action patented 1921, and also shows a
stamped 1921 date on end of action rail.  Poorly rebuilt at least once
(different action?).

Is this a BB?  12330 would be 1901, but action is definitely later;
all the other numbers appear to be earlier.  I forgot to look for the
spider; maybe this is an M&H on fallboard only?

Thanks for the help...

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM