[pianotech] Help with age of Mason & Hamlin 7'

Jude Reveley (Absolute Piano) juderev at verizon.net
Sat Aug 29 07:57:43 MDT 2009

Hi Cy,

You might try Paul Monachino. He has maintained possession of the logbooks ever since he salvaged them in a heroic dumpster dive during the plant closing at Rochester. He was unfortunately too late to save the Chickering archives.

I recently had along conversation with him about a Model C concert grand of which only 8 to 12 were made (not a CC and not the C baby grand made in the late forties/early fifties). He explained to me that Masons were assigned serial numbers either at the end of the year inventory, when the piano was sold, and/or when the piano left the factory for a promo event, restoration etc. In other words, the serial number references whatever was noted in the logbook rather than the specifics on its manufacture. This is why Masons often have multiple s/n's. It may be quite probable that your piano did indeed go back to the factory for a new action. As for the model, is nothing stamped at the back bass tail of the plate? Hope this helps and good luck.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
www.absolute-piano.com