[pianotech] Yamaha U1

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 30 18:51:20 MDT 2009

Dean May wrote:
> It’s possible that the pianist is fond of playing glissandos putting
> excessive side pressure on the keys. This is why often in gospel
> churches you’ll find bushings wear faster.
>

> And if they only play the glissando in one direction then it will only
> wear the bushing on one side.

Front rail, yes. This is the balance rail being discussed.
It's the dogleg. I've run into a bunch of squeaky "outside dog
leg" key bushings in Yamahas through the years. The glue they
use seems to saturate and petrify the bushing. The fix is
replacing the bushing. Leather isn't necessary, necessarily
<G>, but not saturating the new bushing with glue works wonders.
Ron N