[pianotech] Interested in having my Yamaha U1 voiced

Tyler Ferrari tylerferrari at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 31 14:49:01 MDT 2009

Hi all,

my U1 is about 1.25 years old and it gets approx 1-2 hours of play each day. It's been well regulated and I will tune it the day before it is voiced.

I was thinking of having the hammers needled to try reduce some of the apparent overtones in the lower octaves. It is quite cumbersome when recording.

a) How can I ensure the piano tech that I will hire can properly perform this work? (he apparently does a lot of the tuning/voicing of local concert grands and has been doing it for 25 years, or so I've been told.)

b) Is needling the recommend technique for my situation?

I just don't want to find that I'm unhappy with the result, and then have a set of 'damaged' hammers (essentially)

Any other information would be helpful.

-Tyler