[pianotech] Capo shaping

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Jan 1 06:42:30 PST 2009

Hey,

I thought I was the only one who did that!  Actually, now I use the
chainfall to put on a tilter and then cart it to a workbench in the middle
of the shop, flip it, slide it, there you have it.  Comfortable work height.
I find it less troubling to flip the plate, but you could probably use (one
of) my method without flipping.

I think I've posted this before, but I've used wood epoxy or something
similar to make a mold of the capo.  Lay a piece of coarse emery cloth on
the capo, squish the wood epoxy onto the cloth and tape a cork sanding block
on it to keep the pressure consistent until it cures.  End result is a
shaped "sanding" block for your capo.  Of course, the existing profile needs
to be one you like <G>

William R. Monroe