[pianotech] 2 handed tuning

Mike Kurta mkurta1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 1 07:41:47 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: jim ialeggio
To: mkurta1 at comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2009 9:21 AM
Subject: 2 handed tuning

I read your post regarding tight tuning pins..you mentioned you're a 2 handed tuner.

This concept intrigues me!

Both hands on the lever, or switching right to left as needed?

If 2 hands are on the lever, doesn't this really slow you down as you need to remove a hand to sound the note?

Jim

--
grandpianosolutions.com
Shirley, MA  (978) 425-9026

 Jim:  I mispoke.  I should have said I can tune equally well using either hand.  I transfer the lever from one hand to the other when I encounter interference from a strut and play the note with the opposite hand.  Single hands on the tool whether right or left.  It took some practice to develop, but it saves shoulder and arm pain when alternating.  I should have also mentioned that I keep my old heavy lever in the car for those REEELY tight pins.          BTW, this early lever has a history:  It's first owner was Stan Oliver, a blind technician in the Detroit chapter.  It was purchased after Stan died by my brother-in-law Frank McKowen, RPT, who passed it on when he was mentoring me.  And, it was originally made by Casey Adams at AMS machine shop who recognized it immediately when I showed it to him.   Jim, I hope its OK that I shared this with the list.....
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
    Mike Kurta