[pianotech] Aural Tuning, a third flat

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Thu Jan 1 21:56:23 PST 2009

I tune aurally and wouldn't know how to turn on an EDT.  It's my
choice...and I find a great deal of satisfaction in using my aural
skills to tune a piano starting from A-440.  When I find a piano that is
around 15 to 20 cents flat or more I rough tune the piano, then fine
tune it.  For our concert instruments I often make a third pass just to
settle the piano in for a concert workout.  Nearly all of my outside
customer's pianos I can pull it up to pitch and fine tune in two passes.
I strip mute the whole piano and don't pull the strips when I rough tune
and found very good results by using this method.  On my rough tuning
pass I generally over pull my A by anywhere from 2 cents to 25 cents
depending on how low I find the piano.  I have pulled up a piano nearly
200 cents flat and have gotten it close (after all if the customer has
lived with it that flat, getting it close, if not right on, is quite
pleasant for their ears).  I could possibly do the tuning faster with an
EDT, with some practice, but for me, that would take all the fun and
satisfaction out of it and it would become work.  I opt for "fun" and
"satisfaction!"  I know there a host of technicians who disagree with
me, but who cares...this method floats my boat!

Joy!

Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr., M.M.E., RPT

Piano Technician/Technical Director