[pianotech] Several Questions RE; 1905 Steinway B w/Teflon Bushings, Strung w/#6 pins

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Jan 2 18:48:09 PST 2009

Hi Michael,

I'm in agreement with the others so far.  If it is Teflon and you want it to play well rebuild the action with new parts.  60g downweights in and of themselves is not good IMO.  Next question is why?  What is the leading like?  Geometry?  Hammer weight?  If there were no other considerations, Teflon bushings "could" make touchweight less, but I'd say not enough to measure.  I suspect the problem is more from a Hammer weight/geometry/leading problem and it won't be fixed until you put new parts on, paying attention to those details.

If it's the original block, I'd suspect the big ol' pan head screws are too thick, and perhaps the Teflon flanges are thicker than the original (or current) flanges from S&S - I can't recall off the top if this is the case.

1905?  If you get to restring/pinblock, etc., I'd strongly encourage the etc. (board/bridges).  I'd guess it needs that too.  As David said, the piano really needs everything and since she only paid $5K for it (I know, it WAS 1977 - but still) she could have a killer instrument for a very reasonable price.  No, it's not a steal, but therein lies the difference between hopes and dreams and reality.

I'd pass on Historical Accuracy as well.  Historical accuracy would also have us put Teflon back on those pianos built with them; or copy original poor geometry when we have an opportunity to correct it.  I don't know your background Michael, so take no offense here, but if you don't have a lot of experience with parts selection, etc., I'd suggest finding someone that can assist you so that when it's done you don't have some of the same problems you have now.  Plan on releading the keys after replacing parts, too.

Good luck, would love to hear what happens.

William R. Monroe
Belleville, WI

  SNIP
  She acquired this piano "rebuilt and/or restrung" from a music store for the princely sum of $5000 in 1977. She was told it had been acquired from a monastery that had been closed, that it had been rebuilt and/or restrung, she liked the tone and bought it.

  SNIP
  I found the action virtually impossible to remove, the very large round headed screws on the hammer flanges were catching and digging into the underside of the pinblock.

  SNIP
  The coil was already very close to the plate so I unhooked the string backed out the pin and sized it preparing to go oversize, it was a #6. Up to this point

  SNIP
   When I looked closer I saw they were all Teflon bushings, the entire whippen and the hammer flanges are Teflon bushings.

  SNIP
  It has an average gram/touch weight of 60 to 62gms. It needs regulation but shouldn't the lower friction of the Teflon bushings make for a lighter touch?

  SNIP

  The question she asked, to which I wasn't positive of the answer was, do we need to replace the whippens and hammershanks/flanges due to the Teflon?

  My feeling is yes, for historical accuracy and value, my hunch is it is worth far less with the action parts it now has. Not to mention the poor grade hammers and being in need of a re-string.
  If I am wrong about any of this please tell me.

  Flamesuit firmly zipped in place!
  (grin)

  Mike

  I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
  Steven Wright

  Michael Magness