[pianotech] [CAUT] Several Questions RE; 1905 Steinway B w/Teflon Bushings, Strung w/#6 pins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jan 2 20:50:32 PST 2009

Historical accuracy evaporates with the first rebuild. It was,
and would forever have continued to be historically accurate
if it were left in it's original condition. If someone
irrationally wants the old thing to actually work, that's
likely to cost some trade off in historical accuracy for
function. It sounds to me like all the avoidance of the
inevitable age related deterioration things have already been
done to less than acceptable long term effect, and it's time
to start thinking about remanufacturing from the bones up. I
don't think you'll find a band aid patch that'll overcome the
list of problems like gutting it and stating over with a new
action, soundboard, pinblock, etc.

My call,
Ron N