[pianotech] To John, with no last name

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sat Jan 3 03:44:48 PST 2009

Dear John:

I would say thanks for the compliment if you gave any indication that you understood what I was trying to say.  Your response below disappoints me.    I rarely am one to believe that exchanging insults is of value to anyone, so I will continue to resist the impulse here.

You so easily judge people whom you have never met, and I would say that being judgmental in the way that you are is narcissistic and self serving.  And just about dead wrong in your appraisals.  But if you can make your judgments from a far enough distance, you will never have to see that you are wrong and take responsibility for the offense you so easily give.

It serves you to think of this list as some kind of Good Ole Boy network, but I can tell you we fight way too much and disagree too much for that to be true.  But we mostly manage to do that with a reasonable amount of civility, decorum, and good humor.  And, if one of us takes ourselves too seriously, we get put in our place.  It works though because at the bottom of it is a deep respect that most of us share for one another.

I will take the liberty of believing that  I speak for a lot of people on this list by saying that we believe it is an instrument of great value that we want  to protect and nourish.  You aren’t the first person called on the carpet for a  lack of decorum.  Your remarks are destructive, and we don’t want them or you if that is the only manner  in which you choose to approach us.

I take offense at the remarks you have just made about Dale Erwin.  If you actually knew Dale, you simply could not make those remarks.  I’ve met Dale at  conventions, and have frequently corresponded with him on this list and privately.  Dale is a person who makes me realize what a joy and blessing this community is, and how fortunate I am to be part of it.  I am not blowing smoke when I say that Dale is one of the finest rebuilders in the country who freely shares his treasure trove of knowledge with anyone, and without ego.  He is also as kind and decent a person as I have met, and one who tries to live a good life with every breath he takes.   So it saddens me to see him so wrongly attacked by someone who is only serving their own ego.

You feel castigated?  Every single person of the many who responded had only good things to say about Jurgen.  It may serve you to think we are circling the wagons, but did it ever enter your mind that maybe, just maybe, you are wrong in what you said?  And that Jurgen is who we say he is?  Jurgen confirmed our faith in him by the gentlemanly response he finally gave and, to his credit, he entirely resisted the impulse to respond in kind to you.

When the whole world tells you that you are wrong, it’s time to look in the mirror.

Will Truitt