[pianotech] Kawai parts follow up

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sat Jan 3 12:25:19 PST 2009

 David,

Since this thread is dominated by Daves, I might as well jump in

I think you meant "flange bushings" rather than key bushings...?

One of the first things I ever learned from this list was from Don Mannino of Kawai--don't use Protek on Kawai action flanges.? It doesn't help, and can hurt.? My take on that one is that the abs/carbon parts won't allow the moisture out of the bushing, and can in fact cause the problem to get worse.

As I contract for a Kawai dealer, I'm familiar with the actions and the materials.? I've had very occasional tightness in flanges.?? The only solution is to ream and repin, for the aforementioned reasons(lubes don't work).? In the case of your new Kawai upright, I suspect that this will be a one-off situation.? I would guess that 20.5s will work.? One of the advantages of this material is its strength.? It won't crack if a bigger pin is necessary.

That's been my experience, but I live in a far more piano-benign climate than you do.? Talk to Mark at Kawai.? The company policy with stuff like this is quite fair.

Hope this helps a little,

Dave Stahl, RPT
Dave Stahl Piano Service
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net