[pianotech] Touch weight dynamics and the relationship between SW and FW

V T pianovt at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 18:36:49 PST 2009

Hi David S.,

It’s Vladan, I posted but forgot to sign. Those were Ronsen hammers we
tried, and they gave a beautiful tone in the tenor in spite of the high
tension scale. The treble will need lacquer, probably quite a bit of it.
Interesting point you made regarding the use of heavier cold pressed
hammers and the resulting softness. You are right, it is not a big modern
sound but I find it most pleasing.

Come to think of it, your description sounds just like something one would
hear at a high end wine tasting!

David L.,

I didn’t mean to divert the post and change the subject. Regarding your
proposal for matching high SW with low FW and the other way around, I think
that probably needs to be so, as the only other major variable is the
action ratio, and as you say, there are some key dip limits which restrain
the available range.

Vladan