[pianotech] Collard & Collard revisited

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at charter.net
Wed Jan 7 15:38:52 PST 2009

Today, I just finished the repair and alignment of the overdampers.

The hard part - the tuning.

First, I'm having trouble getting the right tip for the pins.
- Standard #2 tip is too big
- Standard #1 tip is a little too small
- Standard square tip is a little too small
- Schaff's oblong tip is a little too big
- That leaves a rectangular tip with square corners about the size of a
"1-1/2" tip.
Where to find such a tip ?

Second, after a long while, I figured that the piano was - extremely -
flat - about 5-6 notes flat.
In trying to bring it up to pitch, two bass string sent snap.
So I'm assuming, to allow for string stretchage, I need at least two passes.
Seeking advice on this kind of pitch raise.

Thanks, Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at charter.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years