[pianotech] Impact Tuning Lever

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Wed Jan 7 21:13:52 PST 2009

Some time ago I purchased the Schaff impact tuning lever, item #3170 on page
33 of the most recent catalogue.  I built  up the handle near the head using
3 layers of plastic tubing in order to achieve a more comfortable grip.  I
have not used the lever a lot thus far.  When I do use it, I find a
experience fatigue quite quickly in my hands and wrists.  I recognize that I
might simply be up against the normal physical learning curve, and that
continued use may well build up the necessary co-ordination and muscle
strength to achieve success with the tool.  Before I go too far down the
path, however, I would be interested in understanding how the details of
construction of this tool compare to the impact levers that are proving most
practical for long term use.

Here are the details for this tool.

   From the center of the movable shaft on which the tuning tip is mounted
to the end
       of the handle is 11 1/4 inches.
   The weight that makes up the end of the handle is removable, and weighs
248 grams.
        It is 7/8 inches in diameter, and is 3 3/8 inches long.
   When the movable tip is held securely in a horizontal position, and the
weighted end
         of the handle is placed on a gram scale, the scale reads about 270
grams.
   The hammer has a swing of 45 degrees.

The simplicity of design of this tool makes it easy to customize.  I could
easily fabricate parts to lengthen or shorten the handle, and could easily
fabricate end weights of different mass.

My question for those of you who have found impact hammers to be tools that
serve you well:  How does the weights and dimensions of this tool compare to
those of the tools you find most servicable?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter.