[pianotech] Collard & Collard revisited

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Jan 8 05:32:21 PST 2009

tom wrote:

> Subject: Re: [pianotech] Collard & Collard revisited
>

> Terry,
> What he said---But I'd be satisfied with just plain fear.
> Tom Driscoll

Honestly, I dont see why. The worst that can happen is that the piano
completely collapses, still you are no worse off than you were at the
begining, with a pretty piece off furniture. I'd do what terry says and drag
it up to 440, maybe just a little bit over, and see what breaks. Order new
bass strings, replace the treble beakage, and tune it again. I have had old
English pianos do odd things, especially breaking bridge and hitch pins,
when tuned, but thats part of the fun.

Better to know the bad news than to live in fear of the unknown!

--Dave

  New Orleans

Dave,
	Give me a 120 year old Vose and I'm a pull it up to pitch guy, but
from admittedly limited experience on these things my attempts (many years
ago) at pitch raising - reconditioning-repair didn't end well.
I'm sure there are those among us who work on these pianos and are better
suited than I for success.
	You go guy, but for me I'd rather stick my eye with a sharpened over
damper wire <G>
	Best wishes,
Tom Driscoll