[pianotech] Collard & Collard revisited

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Thu Jan 8 06:03:54 PST 2009

tom wrote:

> Subject: Re: [pianotech] Collard & Collard revisited
>

> Terry,
> What he said---But I'd be satisfied with just plain fear.
> Tom Driscoll

>Honestly, I dont see why. The worst that can happen is that the piano
>completely collapses, still you are no worse off than you were at the
>begining, with a pretty piece off furniture. I'd do what terry says and
>drag
>it up to 440, maybe just a little bit over, and see what breaks. Order new
>bass strings, replace the treble beakage, and tune it again. I have had old
>English pianos do odd things, especially breaking bridge and hitch pins,
>when tuned, but thats part of the fun.

>Better to know the bad news than to live in fear of the unknown!

>--Dave

I've encountered a handful of pianos over the years that could not be
brought up to pitch. Do some sample notes across the scale. If you are
careful you can feel when you are bumping up against the snapping point.

The best reason to not do it is the customer will perceive you as having
destroyed their precious piano if it does collapse. Better to tune it to 150
cents flat.

Dean