[pianotech] screwed but good

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 8 22:03:12 PST 2009

> Any suggestions?  I'd hate to have to tell the client I
> couldn't fix the problem because I couldn't get the pedal
> box open.  He might kick sand in my face.
>
> Weakly,
>
> Tom Sivak Chicago

Tom,
These things were never intended to be taken apart, obviously.

So much for the rational portion of the program. Now the
reality part. Kimball was an undisputed (by me, anyway) master
of the one way screw. Their case assembly troglodyte(s) with
high speed power drivers would spin a Phillips bit in a screw
head until no vestige of Phillips shaped recess remained in
the screw head- just a nominally conical crater. The
combination of no way to get a screwdriver to bite in the
screw head, and the (I swear (or did)), lack of pilot hole in
the original assembly meant these screws were likely in place
forever. Most times, it was duckable, except those cheek block
and key slip screws that had to come out to pull actions.

Heat, with a soldering iron (though a torch is VERY tempting),
sometimes works, and is always the first attempt. You have to
not only be willing to get lucky, but give the thing every
chance to indulge you.

Drilling off the head, removing the part, and attacking the
stubs with a Vise-Grip is also an (albeit ugly) option, and
often the only one when getting lucky didn't happen.

You said these screws were into metal? As in machine screws?
That complicates things if the screws are holding a wooden
part to a metal part. You can't get a penetrating oil to the
metal/screw interface without soaking the wooden part, if at
all. You may be standing in front of door number 2, involving
drilling off the screw heads to remove the bottom plate to
allow access to the machine screw stubs for application of
penetrating oil and (definitely) torch heating, the better to
Vise-Grip the suckers out. Don't force the stubs or you'll
find yourself looking at what used to be stubs that are now
broken off flush (thereabouts)  with the surface, and you're
back to the drill. This is the REALLY ugly portion of the
program, where we'd rather not go.

I'll stop here and hope for the best.

Luck,
Ron N