[pianotech] Handling wire w/ talcum powder

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jan 9 10:46:23 PST 2009

> If the respondents would read closely, the original question never
> mentioned tuning pins, only replacing strings.
>
> The question is how to prevent moisture, salts and acids etc from the
> skin getting into contact with the metal wire causing pre-mature
> tarnishing.
>
> It is a good idea to wear thin leather gloves for this job. Failing
> that, Talc or talcum powder works too. I would not put sticky rosin all
> over my hands... :^)
>
> Jurgen Goering

Whether replacing an individual string, or restringing an
entire piano, talc won't hurt a thing. Unless you have moist
hands (and a corrosive personality), you don't need anything
on them for string replacement. Just wash up. Talc, as a
lubricant, won't have a decremental effect on cut thread
tuning pins but it makes it harder to hang onto strings and
tools. Chalk line chalk is better for that, and rosin is best.
Ron N