[pianotech] Handling wire w/ talcum powder

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Fri Jan 9 15:45:20 PST 2009

Thank you for everyones input.

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578
http://www.toddpianoworks.com

--- On Fri, 1/9/09, Jurgen Goering <pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com> wrote:

From: Jurgen Goering <pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com>
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Handling wire w/ talcum powder
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Date: Friday, January 9, 2009, 6:28 PM

If the respondents would read closely, the original question never
mentioned tuning pins, only replacing strings.

The question is how to prevent moisture, salts and acids etc from the
skin getting into contact with the metal  wire  causing pre-mature
tarnishing.

It is a good idea to wear thin leather gloves for this job.  Failing
that, Talc or talcum powder works too.  I would not put sticky rosin
all over my hands... :^)

Jurgen Goering