[pianotech] talcum

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Jan 9 10:29:07 PST 2009

Hmm,
<< Talcum, Talc, French Chalk are all Magnesuim Silicate.

Chalk is a type of limestone, a form of calcium carbonate.

Blackboard chalk, confusingly, tends to be made from calcium sulfate. >>

I have used talc for years.  This is USP Talc, from Mallinckrodt chemical
company.  I got a pound from the druggist in 1976 and have almost used it up in a
career of stringing.  It was taught that way at North Bennett, to use
unscented talcum powder to avoid the perfume oils.  I thought that was stretching it,
but I have never had a jumpy pin or tuning difficulty with the many blocks I
tune where I used this to string with.   It keeps the hands from staining the
wire.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours
in just 2 easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26h
mpgID=62%26bcd=DecemailfooterNO62)</HTML>