[pianotech] blackberry vs pda

Ben Gac ben at benspianotuning.com
Tue Jan 13 05:14:54 PST 2009

Hi Tom,

Yes, there is the option with blackberry to switch to any other program while another one continues to run. Before I got my headset I simply put the phone on speaker phone and switched out of the calling screen and opened my calendar.  I would schedule my client that way.  I prefer to use the headset though; being a relatively private individual I didn't like broadcasting my conversation to anyone else who was nearby.

Whenever you change devices, I've found it takes a couple of weeks to really get used to the device and customize the way that works for you.  Even when I went from my 8800 to the 9000 model, it was a stressful transition!  I had a Treo with Palm OS before I got my Blackberry, and the touchscreen was easily the hardest thing to give up.  The blackberry's trackball quickly zooms to wherever I want it to though, and the "blackberry button" that gives me all the options I need.  PLUS, it makes one handed operation a breeze (I haven't been able to successfully operate a touchscreen with just one hand without it seeming awkward).

I had heard that the Storm didn't quite meet everyone's expectations.  If you don't mind waiting a couple more months though, word is that Blackberry is coming out with a touchscreen and keyboard hybrid... Of course, the 88xx models probably have most of their bugs worked out, so your pick would probably be a reliable one.

-Ben

Ben Gac, RPT
Ben's Piano Tuning
(708) 660-9331 - office
(630) 291-5654 - mobile
www.benspianotuning.com
ben at benspianotuning.com

Ben
I went and took a look at the 8830
model. Couple of questions:
You had mentioned about talking on
the phone, while trying to schedule. This could be a deal breaker for me. Could
you put it on speaker phone so that you are able to hear the conversation and
enter data?  Am I understanding you correctly that the phone conversation
can continue while continuing to look at the calendar and other
features?
I'm not a big ear piece gadget guy,
but I guess if it means making this work platform for me I might have to
look at this  a bit differently.
By the way, the Blackberry Storm,
which many have raved about, turns out to be a very unstable machine. Freezes up
and has a lot of bugs to work out.
One feature I hate to give up is the
touch screen that my Dell Axim has. I've grown quite fond of that feature and
the 8830 doesn't have that. Hmmmm.
Tom Servinsky