[pianotech] piano appraisal

Ben Gac ben at benspianotuning.com
Tue Jan 13 05:35:00 PST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net>
To: pianotech list <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 7:49 pm
Subject: [pianotech] PIano appraisal

A customer is asking my opinion of a used Schimmel C 120 I.

I do not have one because I have only seen one Schimmel grand
and the piano is a distance away.

What are your opinions so that I may convey them.
--
Regards,

Jon Page

Jon,

I've had some experience tuning and regulating some Schimmel uprights for the dealer in my area.  I can't remember if they have 120s there that I've worked on, but I forsure remember working on the 130s, and they're certainly good--clever design and quality parts.  I did run into a problem with every single Schimmel upright I worked on there though (which amounts to about 6 right now)--damper timing.  At he low end of tenor right at the break, and almost all the way up to the next strut, the damper timing has been extremely late.  Spoon bending isn't my favorite thing to do, but it's entirely necessary as some of the strings were still muting when their keys were played.  Aside from this fix (and who knows if my experience is an anomaly!), I think thy're sectacular pianos!

-Ben

Ben Gac, RPT
Ben's Piano Tuning
(708) 660-9331 - office