[pianotech] 1920s Knabe

Anne%20Acker a.acker at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 05:43:40 PST 2009

Second on replacing the soundboard.  This model and period of piano indicates a soundboard with limited life. If you are going to spend all that money and time on the restoration, it makes more sense to replace the soundboard now instead of later.

Those refinishing prices are definitely very much on the high side, from my experience.

It will be a terrific little piano when you are done.

AA

Lynn,

I agree with David Love on this one.  A soundboard from the 20's with lots of cracks, generally, is a soundboard needing replacement.  Also in agreement with David that the premise that a soundboard is better because it is older is a false one.  If it were my piano and I were rebuilding it, it would get a new board.  As David said, shimming is cosmetic, listening to the board will tell you what it has left to give (plucking strings and such).

The old soundboard is worth it's weight in firewood, once removed  ;-]

Refinishing prices do vary considerably, and I'd say $10K - $12K for refinishing is not necessarily too much, but is on the higher end of my experience.

A 5'8" Knabe could (properly rebuilt) yield a fantastic musical instrument.  I'd say a complete custom restoration is certainly worth it in terms of what you get out of it musically.  Perhaps not from a resale perspective, but obviously that's not what you want anyway.

William R. Monroe