[pianotech] antique plate cracks, weld or junk it?

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Thu Jan 15 23:09:15 PST 2009

YES, and NO.

Plates can be repaired successfully using metal stitching techniques.  I
have personally completed such a repair.
See this web page:  http://www.locknstitch.com/

There is also another method involving heating the entire plate but it is
highly specialized and easy to screw up if you don't know what your doing.
The problem is that cast iron has very unique expansion characteristics when
it is heated and if the exact procedure is not followed then you will be
creating a bunch of disastrous new problems.

While it is possible to perform minor metal stitching repairs without
removing the plate, from the looks of it there is probably something
terribly wrong that created the crack in the first place.  You have two
major struts cracked.  I would never attempt any repair on this piano
without completely tearing it down and removing the plate first to see
what's going on.  My answer would be NO unless you want to take it seriously
and take it all apart and fix it right.

There have been several discussions on plate repair in the past and I also
spelled out the whole metal stitching technique a few years ago. Search
through the list archives, it's all there.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV