[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 3, Issue 149 antique plate cracks

Anne%20Acker a.acker at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 04:59:39 PST 2009

So, where does the auctioneer expect to make the money after spending the several thousand on restringing and additional funds to repair the plate cracks?

Anyway, it is a pretty Danish piano, and you don't see too many of those (Copenhagen).

It doesn't make sense from a financial point of view.  On the other hand, if he wants to payyou money to do something, that is your issue.

I would go beyond welding and do it properly if you expect it to last.

AA

Local auction house has an antique "Ludv. Wulff,  KJOBENHAVN"  grand with two plate cracks in the vicinity of the tuning pins for octave five.

The pinblock is open, and the cracks are right where the plate "ends" and the pinblock begins.  A major stress concentrator, I'm sure.

Auctioneer wants to have the plate welded and piano restrung, thinking he can get several thousand $$ based on the appearance of the fancy case.  I suppose it would bring a couple hundred $$ without repairs, if that.

For those who have successfully repaired plate cracks, does this one look workable?  I've never dealt with plate repair, and certainly not an antique, open block plate at that.

Photos attached.

Thanks,
Greg Graham

ubscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://ptg.org/mailman/listinfo/pianotech_ptg.org
	pianotech-request at ptg.org

	pianotech-owner at ptg.org

than "Re: Contents of pianotech digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. antique plate cracks, weld or junk it? (Greg Graham)