[pianotech] elbows

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Jan 16 05:38:19 PST 2009

richard.ucci at att.net wrote:
> Hi Yall,
>
> Replaced a set of elbows yesterday with new plastic ones, (that had been
> in my car for about 2yrs.or so). Now some of the keys are sluggish etc.

At -35° this morning, my whole CAR was a bit sluggish, flat spotted
tires and all...
;-}

> Would lubricating the bushing of the elbow help cure?

Couldn't hurt if you use the right stuff.

> No lost motion ,

Introduce a little lost motion and see if the "sluggishness" doesn't go
away w/o lubrication.

  also two of the whippen parts where the elbow pins to
> the action broke(sh**)! What would be the best way to repair without
> pulling action?

Magic?

If the wippen sides are still there, you might get lucky with super
glue, but getting good alignment of centerpin holes while the thing is
hanging by the flange and you are upside down is, shall we say, iffy.

Pull the action so you can remove wippen and see what you are doing.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076