[pianotech] elbows

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Jan 16 06:23:41 PST 2009

On many of these the lost motion regulator is a short piece of wood dowel on
the end of a threaded sticker that nestles into a fork on the end of the
key. That wood dowel is wrapped in green felt which swells over time and
takes on the shape of the end of the key. If you turn it to adjust then you
are introducing lots of added friction. When doing one of these elbow
replacements it is always standard procedure for me to now dress that green
felt down. After getting the stickers off just take them over to your disc
sander and give the dowels a turn to take at least half the felt off. It
works great and I've never had a click as a result, even on ones that had
most of the felt taken off.

Since they are already installed you might try shaving it off with a razor
on one that's sticking and see if you get any improvement.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802