[pianotech] elbows

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 18:41:21 PST 2009

Richard

One of the side effects of plastic parts is that just before they break, they swell up. If this action has plastic elbows, there is a good chance that the wippen flanges are also plastic, which might be?the reason?the keys are sluggish. Since you have to remove the action anyway to repair the wippens, take a look at the wippen flanges. You might have?another plastic parts replacement job. (Check the hammer but flanges, as well.)

BTW. Whenever I have a plastic elbow job, I ALWAYS removed the action. I usually replace the plastic elbows with wooden ones, but even if you use Vagias elbows, I want to have control over what I'm doing. I just don't feel have that when I'm laying on my back, or hunched up under the keybed. To remove the action, you are probably going to?have to remove the keys. So while those are out, I vacuum the dust and dirt out of the piano.?After adjusting lost motion, minor regulation and tuning, it gives me a nice complete job.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943