[pianotech] piano age

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 10:19:09 PST 2009

Thank you to all of you who responded! I actually went back to my car,
rummaged around a bit more, and found a copy of Pierce. This was one of
those "borderline drop actions" (with the bushed sticker guide rail), which
allowed the salesmen to assert that this was not a "true" 36" spinet (this
was around 40" or so). As such the hammer flange screws are lined up with
the keybed, making spacing hammers and tightening flanges screws somewhere
between cumbersome and almost impossible without pulling the whole action
out. Baldwin gave the Acrosonic name plate to their "higher quality" line of
spinet and spinetoid verticals. Less snazzy ones got the Baldwin decal, and
the truly disturbing loss leaders the Hampton (and Ellington too?) name
plate.
Gratefully,
Patrick Draine