[pianotech] Young Chang Upright Jack Springs - a choice to make

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:29:30 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:33 PM, John Dorr <a440 at bresnan.net> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm soon to be replacing ALL of the jack springs in a 20 (or so) year old
> Young Chang upright.  I wrote about it earlier and the consensus was that
> the original springs get weak after 15 years or so.
>
> So I ordered a bag (100) of standard upright springs and a bag of (100)
> spinet springs.  The spinet springs are lighter and seem a better match to
> the originals, so I'm inclined to use them.
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance, y'all!

I've always tried to match what was original. Some Kimball and Wurlie
consoles use the spinet springs even though they are consoles.  That's what
fits anyway.  If it looks too cramped with an upright spring, I'll use the
spinet springs.

Did you first try strengthening the springs?  Sometimes I have some luck
with that, but mostly where the original springs were of better quality. I
would also replace these YC springs after 20 years. It's time.

--
JF