[pianotech] Grand Piano Truck instalation

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 20 03:06:13 PST 2009

Hi Paul:

I posted a reply some time ago about a method of installing a piano truck,
but since the archives are incognito, I will do my best to give my answer
again.

I use three car jacks and 3 large blocks of wood, roughly 12" x 12" pieces
gotten from ye local lumbar supplier.  I already had these, because I use
them to set the piano on in the shop when I am stringing or doing damper
work, to make it easier for my back.

I already had the one jack from my car, and went to the local auto parts
store and bought two more for $20 a pop.  They are each rated for 3500 lbs.

So they are more than adequate for even the Baldwin 9' SD-10 that I was
putting the piano truck on at the church.  I didn't want to enlist the
services of the 80 year old janitor, or hire my piano movers for $200 or so.

Quite simply, you position the 3 blocks on the floor, set the jacks on them
with additional shim blocks if needed, and slowly scissor the piano up to a
sufficient height.  You can go back and forth to maintain a reasonable level
until you are at sufficient height.  It took me all of 20 minutes to
position the blocks and jack the piano up.  I needed to remove the legs to
do other work on them.  I took all three back to the shop and left the piano
sitting on the jacks overnight.  Came back the next day, installed them
without the concert double casters.  I set up the truck, working to position
the three plates under the legs.  What is really nice is that I was able to
slowly and evenly lower the legs to where they were almost weight loading
the truck plates, do final micro-positioning, and then tighten everything
up.  Then final lower the piano until it was fully on the truck, again going
back and forth to bring it down evenly.

All this with absolutely no stress or risk to anyone, including me.  It's
very safe and easy, and you don't have to use movers.  Best $40 bucks I ever
spent.

Will Truitt