[pianotech] Grand Piano Truck instalation, attn: Will Truitt

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Jan 21 03:59:58 PST 2009

Hi Mike and Paul:

I will try to answer your question here.

Sorry for leaving out the third dimension.  I'm not at the shop, so I am
going to guestimate the height of my blocks, which is about 16 to 18".  I
already had made the blocks for another purpose, so if you are making them,
you can have them cut to the height you want.  They sit on the floor and the
jack is placed on top of them, with a 1/2" thick piece of plywood square
between the jack and the bottom of the piano to protect the piano.  I
actually had cut a number of pieces of the plywood to sit on top of the wood
block as shim stock as needed doing this for the first time, if I needed
them.  By the time it was all  said and done, I think I had opened the
scissors jacks 5 or 6 inches by the time I was actually installing the truck
the next day.

No, it's not scary.  I had to do modifications on the legs which required
the removal of all three.  Once you've got it jacked up, it's so stable it
doesn't matter if it is 10 seconds or 10 days.  Unless the kids are playing
soccer in the sanctuary, you don't have much to worry about.  I had a couple
of down days for the room to work in.

The purpose of the blocks is to serve as a platform of sufficient height to
raise the piano. Because they are broad (12" x 12") and heavy, they are
quite stable.  And the SD-10 weighs what, 12 1300 lbs?  All that mass is in
your favor, barring an earthquake or tsunami. It just ain't gonna go
anywhere.

Where the jacks will go depends on the size of the piano.  One determining
factor is that they cannot be in the way of the tripod when you are locating
it.  It's been over a year since I did the job, and my brain is a bit fuzzy,
but this is what I did (I think).

At the keybed end I placed a jack under the keybed at each end as close to
the legs as possible and near the front of the keybed, allowing room for
removal and reinstallation.  I think I ended up within a few inches of the
legs.

At the tail, the tripod arm required that I jack the piano on one side under
the rim to gain sufficient clearance. I was initially concerned by the fact
that I was lifting the piano off center, and played with this just barely
off the floor when I started, even shook the piano a little bit. It turned
out to be an absolute non-issue.  But remember that I could go around to
each jack and raise the piano an inch at a time, feathering it up and down.

I used the scissors jacks, although I doubt if it matters which you use.

I cannot emphasize enough how easy this makes the lowering of the piano onto
the leg plates and the attendant adjustments.  Zero stress and utterly safe.

I will boldly state that this is the fastest, easiest, and safest way to do
this job.  I've done this job before with movers and other methods as
suggested by my respected colleagues.  This way is the Cat's Meow, and I
would never do it any other way now.

Will Truitt