[pianotech] regulation "sweet" spot

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 08:13:29 PST 2009

At 20:04 -0800 21/1/09, Fenton Murray wrote:

>With let off set and drop too low and the action on the bench.
>Place weights on the key amounting to 5 grams or so over the down weight.
>Let say down weight is about 52, try 56 or 57 grams.
>The key will drop until the drop screw contacts the leather.
>Now, raise the drop and watch the hammer rise, when it stops rising
>the jack heal has made contact with it's button.
>You now have simultaneous contact between drop and let off.

Well, I tried it this morning to see what you meant and found it
almost impossible to distinguish between a hammer that is rising at a
fraction of a snail's pace and one that has stopped.  But you seem to
be saying that synchronizing the two contacts gives you the correct
drop.  I don't see how or why it should and I've never heard of such
a rule.  Can you explain further?

JD