[pianotech] Estonia

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 22 19:25:35 PST 2009

For the third time today I tuned a new Estonia, taking four hours for
each tuning. Every one of the pins was, first time, so tight I literally
thought they would twist out.  I'm wondering how you folks deal with
this kind of thing, and when it happens how you charge so you don't
cheat them nor yourselves.   In about two weeks I have to tune it,
another, more easily tuned Estonia, and a 9-foot Shigeru together on a
platform for a big program. So this one Estonia has me really concerned.
I just can't crack it in less than four hours. I don't know if pins will
loosen up or not. There are also a lot of false beats in the 7th octave,
a bit more than I would expect.

Advice appreciated.
les bartlett