[pianotech] off topic- hearing

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 23 06:41:12 PST 2009

Have any of you had experience with both digital and analog hearing
aids, enough to compare the two as regards to tuning.   I have very high
end Phonak digital ones which constantly give me a hiss immediately
after the strike point. Eventually it goes away, and I can still tune
the note- but they become more and more irritating. I've hounded my
audiologist till she should keep a gun in a drawer for the next time I
show up, but we haven't been able to get a handle on this.  They're
going back to the factory again.  I put my old Siemens in and realize
that technology has indeed come a long way, but I prefer what I get
while tuning with the old ones, merely because I can't get rid of the
hiss and it's about to drive me nuts.  I am wondering how digital and
analog compare in the world of tuning. For the "real world" the digitals
are miracles, but we have a strange set of needs which the creators of
the miracles need not face because we are such a specialized niche in
the hearing world.
les bartlett