[pianotech] Best glue for shims?

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Fri Jan 23 08:19:18 PST 2009

Al,
I haven't done much shimming in a while but used to do quite a bit. I've used Tite Bond, Cold Hide, Boluc, and epoxy and have never seen a failure. At this point I would consider color, viscosity, spreadability, toxicity and set up time my primary criteria. I've heard much on the importance of the glue or epoxy to expand/contract with the wood, but I don't think it makes any difference. How much is a glue line going to move? Even a crack filled with epoxy has no real significance since it only taking up a fraction of a fraction of real estate in the soundboard. Hide will be dark, Tite Bond will be yellow, Bolduc will be white, I like white.
Fenton
Just my opinion.