[pianotech] bobbling hammers and jack spring tension (Mannino)

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 12:13:15 PST 2009

subjectBobbling hammers and jack spring tension (Mannino)mailed-bygmail.com
hide details 12:07 PM (3 minutes ago)

Hey Now,

I for one would like to thank Don Mannino for his detailed explanation on
the correlation of damper spring tension, damper lift/timing, and the effect
on bobbling hammers. Don, I have copied this for future reference. You once
mentioned at a chapter meeting that changing damper timing (spoon bending),
would have a positive effect on bobbling hammers. At the time I had no doubt
what you said was true, but I was baffled as to why damper timing would
effect the bobbling hammer and the correlation of the two. I have read this
several times and I think the light just turned on...or at least it's a
little less dim in here.

I have a few questions or clarifications. When you say

"Damper timing should be at 1/2 of the hammer blow, which should be early
enough to make sure that damper lift comes sufficiently before the jack
contact."

By contact do you mean the jack toe in contact with the let off button?

Next clarification,

" I place a stack of my old key weights on the damper head at the center
point, and find the pressure that balances the spring tension right at the
rest point of the dampers.  Spring tension increases as they are pressed
back, so I find the weight that makes the treble damper start to float at
the starting point."

Do you mean key Key weights like the ones you determine the down weight at
the end of the key? When you say "old" I not sure if you mean old key leads
or key weights. As the thread progressed this is one of the questions I had.
What is the correct spring tension and how do i achieve it?

In the past I have always opted for leaving the let off a little wide
approach to the bobbling hammer, it usually works but not always. Hopefully
I can master a new approach. Spoon bending is not one of my strong points.

Has anyone noticed that this seems to occur frequently on Asian pianos that
have the graduated rake for three or four notes right at the break. Some one
once told me, I'm not sure who, that it was a geometry thing with the longer
hammer shanks.

Thanks Don for taking the time to explain this.

Steve Blasyak
Orange County Chapter

Pura Vida