[pianotech] bobbling hammers and jack spring tension (Mannino)

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 19:57:35 PST 2009

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Steve Blasyak

  I have a few questions or clarifications. When you say

  "Damper timing should be at 1/2 of the hammer blow, which should be early enough to make sure that damper lift comes sufficiently before the jack contact."

  By contact do you mean the jack toe in contact with the let off button?
Yes

>Next clarification,
>
>" I place a stack of my old key weights on the damper head at the center point, and find the pressure that balances the spring tension right at the rest point of the >dampers.  Spring tension increases as they are pressed back, so I find the weight that makes the treble damper start to float at the starting point."
>
>Do you mean key Key weights like the ones you determine the down weight at the end of the key? When you say "old" I not sure if you mean old key leads or >key weights. As the thread progressed this is one of the questions I had. What is the correct spring tension and how do i achieve it?

Just a set of the old fashioned brass key weights with the screw in the center that holds them together.  As I mentioned, I do not have any figures to go by - I have always just reduced the tension if the piano felt it needed less, and smoothed it out near the center to eliminate the heaviness in the center.

Joseph asked about weighting dampers to improve damping.  This is a design question, and is beyond the scope of trying to improve action performance.  I've experimented with this in the past, but don't recommend it as a normal course of action.

Don Mannino